Cockatiel Cove
Welcome to The Cockatiel Cove!Smile
Are you member? Do you want to ask a question,post pictures of your tiels discover facts about them? Something else?
Login!

Not a member?Interested in getting a tiel? Own one?Love them?Need to know more?
Join our community today!

Cockatiel Cove

These sweet little guys deserve their own forum! Don't you think? Join our community of cockatiel lovers, owners, enthusiasts, experts, breeders and exhibitors!

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  New PostsNew Posts  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Support Us!Support Us!  Log inLog in  
Donate to us!
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» I'm new!
Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:51 pm by Lexi

» Hi I am new to this site .
Tue May 06, 2014 5:32 pm by kiesters

»  A Wholesome Cockatiel Diet
Tue May 06, 2014 5:30 pm by kiesters

» how can I tame a nasty bird?
Tue May 06, 2014 5:10 pm by kiesters

» Signs of an ill bird.
Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:38 pm by BrendaDup

» A guide for new members
Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:56 pm by Lexi

» So..how's everyone been?
Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:36 pm by Lexi

» what should i do?
Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:29 pm by Lexi

» New to the site and excited!
Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:27 pm by Lexi

Affiliates
free forum

Budgie Forum

Share | 

Thinking about getting Juju a friend...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
moonchild
Egg
Egg

Female Posts : 19
Activity Points : 34

PostSubject: Thinking about getting Juju a friend...   Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:26 pm

I only really wanted one tiel, but I am starting to think it may be the
best thing for poor Juju to have company while I'm not home. He
absolutely hates being left alone. I made the mistake of bringing one of
my budgies into the bedroom with me to see how he would react to
another bird, and now he's freaking out calling for the budgie (even
though they never really made "friends" -- Juju started singing to the
bird and demanded scratches but the budgie had no clue what to do. Later
when the budgie tried to go hang out with Juju on the bed Juju got
aggressive).

Anyhow, I am not sure I have a "bond" with Juju...he seems to like me
about as much as he likes other humans. Which is to say, he loves to sit
on people's heads and be close to them, but he's not hand tame at all.

I just came across a 4-year-old female cockatiel up for adoption in my
area, and the owner says she is very tame and sweet. Should I take the
chance and bring her home as a friend for Juju? The entire reason I got a
tiel was because I wanted a bird to bond with (none of my budgies are
tame). Since she is already tame and likes people, is there a good
chance they would both still hang out with me? I don't know about
Juju...he seems so distracted and mad at me since I let him meet the
little budgie and then took him away. His previous owner had a lovebird
and said that Juju and the lovebird got along, but that Juju preferred
her company.
Back to top Go down
~Drini~
Admin
Admin

Name : Ujana
Female Posts : 195
Activity Points : 276

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting Juju a friend...   Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:54 pm

I think that would be a great idea!Very Happy If she is indeed tame, she will lead by example.Wink As well as provide a friend and companion for Juju.Smile

I think it should be a go, and I can't wait to see her if you do decide to keep her!

Egg
Egg

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting Juju a friend...   Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:59 pm

I don't think I can get her...the people who have her now live half an hour away and my friend who drives can't help me out with a ride. Sad

Juju is driving me nuts with his flock-calling though, absolutely WILL NOT shut up. So I think I'm off to my local parrot specialty shop to look at their selection of tiels. They say they have many to choose from, most are tame enough to step up, and some are second hand and in need of a good home.

Should I get another male, or a female? I was thinking female, since they're usually quieter, but the person at the shop that I talked to over the phone said that a female usually WILL lay eggs if she's with a male. :\
Back to top Go down
~Drini~
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting Juju a friend...   Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:52 pm

Aw, I'm sorry.Embarassed

Yes, females do tend to lay eggs, and males are much louder. But if you intend to not breed, and if you are fine with the noise, I think a male would be a good option. Of course, its always YOUR choice on what you want to do. Smile He would still provide a companion to Juju and you wouldn't have to worry about preventing anything special from happening.Wink

Good luck with the tiel-hunting! Hopefully you will find one just right.Very Happy

Admin
Admin

Name : Lexi
Female Posts : 279
Activity Points : 448

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting Juju a friend...   Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:30 pm

How exciting! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
http://www.superiorart.bigboardlive.com
Nokota
Egg
Egg

Activity Points : 26

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting Juju a friend...   Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:05 am

Not only do you have a 'tiel with issues, you also have a flock of budgies that aren't human tame either, and now you're going to add another bird to the mix? Take a step back first and look at your situation.

You have multiple pets who are not hand-tame, who are not confidant around you, and do not get along. The solution to this is not more pets, it is learning to communicate with the ones you have and socializing them better.

Do some target training one-on-one with your budgies and your 'tiel. Stop letting your 'tiel on your head, height is a dominance thing for most birds and it will hurt your bonding with your 'tiel if he thinks his status is above yours. Get your birds trained before adding to the chaos. Basic target training and then step-up training is all you need to tame and socialize them, there are plenty of guides for this all over the internet.

Yes, females lay eggs. They will often lay infertile eggs even without a male around and if their diet is not sufficient to support egg laying they can become eggbound and die. The female will only mate with the male if they like each other.

Please work harder on bonding with your 'tiel and humanizing your other birds before deciding to get the 'tiel a friend who may cause him to ignore you completely.

Last edited by Lexi on Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:17 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Cinnyluver
Admin
Admin

Female Posts : 210
Activity Points : 236

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting Juju a friend...   Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:07 am

She doesn't need to tame all her budgies if she wants another bird. Many people like having budgies just because they enjoy having them around. My budgie girls aren't tame, yet I have more than one cockatiels. It's her decision if she wants to tame her keets or not.
I think having two tiels is better than one. Especially if the one is acting lonely or needy. It helped Cinny a ton when I got Sugar, my second tiel. He went from a tame sad yelling bird who always wanted attention, to a tame happy bird that sang instead of yelling. I think getting another male would help too, just so he can have a buddy and someone to talk to and play with. If you do get another tiel, I recommend getting an already tame one or taming him/her before you introduce him/her to your other tiel.

Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting Juju a friend...   Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:54 am

Agreed. While it may be a good idea to tame the others, getting another tiel isn't a bad idea. If she is already tamed, the original poster will have a friendly bird, and hopefully the others will follow by example.Very Happy Good point though Nokota.

Egg
Egg

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting Juju a friend...   Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:51 pm

I have seven budgies in a flight cage...it's not exactly easy to get them to take an interest in me when they're content in their little birdie flock. They are completely fine with me right next to their cage, and a few of them will even step up sometimes. I'm working on it, but I really don't see why they "need" to be tamed in order to be happy. They'd probably be happier if I left them alone! I also have an injured budgie that needs to be kept separate from the flock while his leg heals, and he is with one friend in a small cage in the living room. The friend is pretty tame, and I'm working on getting the injured one to trust me too. But I know that even if I do, once those two join the rest of the flock they will most likely lose any "use" they have for me.

I think leaving Juju by himself would have been very selfish of me, since I could tell he wasn't happy that way. He may have "issues" but one of those issues is being a member of a highly social species who was lonely.

I did get another tiel, and he is tame and sweet. Smile He's a second-hand bird that was returned to the shop because his owners suddenly decided (after 2+ years) that they weren't bird people.

Last edited by moonchild on Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
~Drini~
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting Juju a friend...   Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:02 pm

Congrats on your decision! We would like to see photos! In another thread of course.Very Happy

Admin
Admin

Name : Lexi
Female Posts : 279
Activity Points : 448

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting Juju a friend...   Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:04 pm

I am glad with your decision.I saw him on TC!Why not post some pictures of him? Very Happy

I am closing this thread in case of any queries or critiques on your decision. Wink

Back to top Go down
http://www.superiorart.bigboardlive.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting Juju a friend...   

Back to top Go down

Thinking about getting Juju a friend...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1